Before the festival began we posted a few helpful hints to get the most out of the marathon weekend that is Lollapalooza…tips and tricks we compiled after countless road trips, concerts, late nights, early mornings, hangovers, injuries, lost cars, lost people, and all-around debauchery. The notes that follow are a recap (in no particular order) of our observations and adventures in and around Grant Park last weekend.
1. Chicago cab drivers are remarkably talented. We met one who sang to us; one who danced; several that told us we were beautiful in a foreign language; a drummer; a gymnast; and one that made the best McDonald’s French fries e-v-e-r appear out of nowhere, sharing them with us. Admittedly, that last one was at 3 AM after Lolla After-party stop #4, but who wouldn’t have the munchies then?
2. A crowd of thousands can be evacuated rather quickly and orderly when impending doom (aka Lollapocolypse) descends upon you. We may chuckle about it now, but when torrential rain, 80-mph wind gusts and water spouts join the party, it’s time to take cover, and quick! [Note: this is also the best time for a private guided tour through the art museum. After all, it’s all about culture! Thanks Angel!]
3. Perry Ferrell and crew know how to run an organization. Not only did they keep us festival-goers safe, but rumor has it Perry himself handed out free 3-day passes for next year to make up for missed sets caused by the storm. That, along with a top-notch app, friendly & helpful staff, reasonably-priced food/drinks/merch, environmentally-friendly initiatives, and really listening to consumer feedback each year to make the next one better than ever, are just a few of the many reasons this event is so successful.
4a. Leaving the festival early, with the sole purpose of cleaning up and getting in line at one of the more popular after-parties 90 minutes early, with a confirmed RSVP, does not guarantee you won’t be 2344th in line at a venue with 800 max capacity. Lesson learned.
4b. Sometimes the best of nights happen after you don’t make it to your first choice event. While we may not have made it in to see Passion Pit, we did enjoy a tasty margarita or two at an out-of-the way neighborhood Mexican restaurant, were treated to a surprise round of drinks from the manager at Debonair Social Club, danced the night away at Angels & Kings, and still managed to catch the last half of Cee Lo Green’s performance at the Hard Rock Hotel. Unforgettable!
5. Pillow fights, no matter how old you are, are fun!
6. Girls from Buffalo, NY are particularly fond of turtles.
7. Maurice’s sunglasses really get around…
8. Thankfully, not every hotel has a leak on the 7th floor.
9. So many artists, both seasoned and emerging, to keep on our radar in the coming months. A few highlights here…points to our readers that guess correctly.
10. #Lolla2013 already in the works…hope to see you there!